The weather is getting Chilly and there is nothing like making Chili to warm you up. This delicious hearty meal is the perfect Sunday fall recipes.
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) red kidney beans, drained
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, quartered, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 pound ground Turkey (you can substitute for tofu)
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) tomatoes
- 1 can mild green chile peppers
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped jalapeno chile pepper, optional
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- Dash cayenne pepper, or to taste
- Dash ground cloves
- 1 small bay leaf
Prepare beans unless using cans. Rinse dry beans, cover with cold water, and let soak overnight. Drain, transfer to a large saucepan, and cover with fresh water. Cover and simmer for about 1 hour, or until tender. Drain.
In a large skillet, brown the onion, pepper, and ground turkey in oil. Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, peppers, and seasonings. Cover and simmer for 1 1.2 hours, adding a little water if needed to keep from sticking. Check and stir frequently. Add the cooked or canned beans and heat through.